Home' Southern Health News : October 2015 Contents “Seventeen of our volunteers celebrated
between 30 and 39 years of service this
year – 608 years between them,” said
FMC Volunteer Service President, Sylvia
Wolverson.“Some of these ‘milestone’
volunteers began their volunteer service on
the same day that the hospital opened, so
that’s an outstanding achievement.”
Sylvia said a highlight of the year was the
donation of $25,000 to the Cochlear Implant
Unit, to assist patients to cover the cost of
repairs to their implants.“
Unfortunately, some patients would not
otherwise have the funding for this, so it’s
wonderful to be able to help them out.”
In 2014/15, the FMC Volunteer Service
donated a total of $289,655 to Flinders
Medical Centre and the FMC Foundation
towards research and patient services.
Highlights of the donations included:
• A donation of $140,000 to the FMC
Foundation for research grants
• Patient monitors for the Day Surgery Unit
and Endoscopy Unit ($20,620)
FMC Volunteer Service
celebrates 40 years
Four decades old – and stronger than ever. That’s the message to emerge
from the Flinders Medical Centre Volunteer Service, which celebrates 40
years of service this year.
(L-R) Flinders Medical Centre’s longest
serving volunteers Jill Aikin, Clara
Rayner, Ruth Seager and Joan Young.
• Tilt wheelchairs for the Occupational Therapy
• Cloud Comfort chairs for Ward 5G ($6,423)
• A treatment chair for Surgical Support Clinics
• Training equipment for Midwifery and
Members of the FMC Volunteer Service work
in a wide variety of roles throughout the
hospital. Roles include serving in the Café Bar
and Coffee Shop; working in the Volunteer
Shop; delivering flowers, books and the ‘shop
trolley’ to patients; working the barbecue in
the courtyard; acting as Guides for visitors and
patients; and providing comfort and practical
assistance in the Emergency Department and
Intensive and Critical Care Unit.
Want to know more?
To find out more about volunteering at Flinders
Medical Centre, please call the Recruitment
Department on (08) 8204 3009,
(08) 8204 5169 or (08) 8204 6397.
Information sessions are held on
Thursdays from 10am to 12pm.
Wet wipes warning
Dermatologists working in South
Australia’s hospitals have seen an
increase in allergic dermatitis cases as
a result of reactions to a preservative
found in some wet wipes.
National figures show that so far this year, 15
per cent of Australians patch tested for allergic
reactions have reacted to Methylisothiazolinone
(MI), the preservative found in many wet wipes
including baby wipes. This is up from around
4 per cent in 2005.
Head of Dermatology at Flinders Medical
Centre Dr Lynne Gordon said she had seen
severe cases of dermatitis caused by ‘wet wipe’
“Allergic dermatitis is a common skin condition
which causes an itchy and weeping rash
localised to the area in contact with the allergic
trigger,” Dr Gordon said.
“It usually develops two or more days after
contact with the allergen and lasts as long
as contact continues and for a short time
afterwards, typically one to two weeks.
I have seen a number of cases where people
who are busy during the day, use the wipes on
their hands and face and break out in a rash.
“We have also seen cases of elderly people who
may use the wipes for personal hygiene.
“If anyone is concerned about the impact of
certain products on their skin they should speak
to a dermatologist.”
Danae Belfield, 26, of Somerton Park
presented to the Emergency Department
at Flinders Medical Centre numerous times
following severe reactions to MI, most recently
after using wet wipes.
“Over the past 14 months, I have suffered
with a red, itchy, painful rash over most of my
body, which was compounded when I was
hospitalised three weeks ago after using wet
wipes on my face and neck,” she said.
“A patch test helped to determine my reaction
was to the MI and I have since stopped using
all products that contain the preservative, which
has dramatically changed my life.
“I am now vigilant in checking the labels of
products I use, including wet wipes, shampoo
and other body products, to make sure they do
not contain MI.”
MI is used to prevent bacterial contamination
and is often found in personal hygiene products
such as baby wipes, moisturisers and cosmetics.
Links Archive Southern Health News - August 2015 December 2015 Navigation Previous Page Next Page