Home' Southern Health News : Southern Health News August 2013 Contents SOUTHERN HEALTH NEWS / AUGUST 2013 / 9
1915 Mrs Isabel Dawes acquires a stone dwelling,
bordered by Government Road (now Goodwood
Rd) and Daws Rd, which she names Yandama. The
land consists of three paddocks used for grazing
horses and hay making.
1940 Shortly after the outbreak of World War II,
Mrs Dawes receives a letter from the Australian
Military Forces advising her that her house and
land will be impressed by the National Security
Regulations for the establishment of a military
1941 Construction of the 105 Adelaide Military
1942 (January) The 150-bed hospital, with a
provision for 700 extra beds, is handed over to
the Army on 20 January, with the first patients
admitted on 21 February.
The homestead in which Mrs Dawes had lived
becomes known to the Army as Dawes House.
Research aims to ease breathlessness
BY JACQUIE VAN SANTEN
Palliative care and respiratory
researchers at the Repatriation
General Hospital are
investigating whether blocking
the body's own morphine-like
chemicals during exercise
may ease the perception of
shortness of breath in people
with refractory dyspnoea, or
Refractory breathlessness is ongoing
and chronic shortness of breath
despite treatment of the condition.
"Refractory breathlessness is a
frequently encountered problem,
with one-in-250 people so breathless
they are virtually housebound," said
Southern Adelaide Palliative Services
Clinical Trials Manager Aine Greene.
"Nearly half of all people requiring
palliative care experience this
distressing condition during the last
year of their life."
The aim of the study is to understand
the role of a person's own opioids
(morphine-like chemicals made by
the body) in regulating breathlessness
in people with chronic obstructive
lung disease (COPD).
As part of the study, up to 60
participants will make five visits to
the Repatriation General Hospital.
During each visit, participants will
be asked to walk on a treadmill
while their breathing discomfort
is assessed. The first visit requires
participants to walk on a treadmill
which gradually increases in difficulty
for as long they can last.
On the subsequent visits, participants
will walk at 75 per cent of what they
achieved during the first visit to see
how long they can last. During the
final three visits participants will be
given naloxone, methylnatrexone or a
placebo, before they start exercising.
These two drugs are normally used
to treat the effects and side effects of
The participant's level of intensity and
unpleasantness of breathlessness and
leg fatigue will be measured during
each visit. Blood tests will then be
taken to assess the levels of two
opioid chemicals produced by the
body -- adrenocorticotropic hormone
(ACTH) and beta endorphins.
"If the intensity of breathlessness in
the methylnaltrexone arm is the same
as placebo arm, this would support
a belief that there is no clinically
relevant effect on dyspnoea from
opioid receptors in the air passages of
the lung, and substantially lessen the
case for the use of inhaled opioids,"
said Professor David Currow,
Professor of Palliative and Supportive
Services with Southern Adelaide
If you are interested in
participating in the study, please
call the Southern Adelaide
Palliative Services Clinical
Research Unit on (08) 8275 1057.
Supervisor Toby Hunt
(left) and Professor
David Currow (right)
part of the trial.
A history of Daw House Hospice
CELEBRATING 25 YEARS Daw House Hospice
1942 (April) Dawes House accommodates 38
female patients inside and 50 outside in tents.
The homestead is subsequently used as a 51-bed
ward for female surgical, medical and psychiatric
1946 After the end of the war, the Australian Red
Cross Society acquires the homestead and leases
it to the Repatriation Department.
1947 The military hospital is handed over by
military authorities to the Repatriation Commission
to become the Repatriation General Hospital.
1953 The Repatriation Commission rejects an
offer to purchase the homestead and hands
Dawes House back to the Red Cross Society.
Mid-1950s Dawes House becomes known as
Daw House and is sold to a member of the
Repatriation Hospital's nursing staff who reopens
it as Daw Park Private Hospital, after adding an
extension to the southern side.
Mid-1970s After many years in private
hands, Daw Park Private Hospital is sold to
the Repatriation Department. It becomes the
site of the academic Rehabilitation Unit of the
Repatriation General Hospital.
1980s When the decision is made to close the
hospice at Kylara, the South Australian Health
Commission choose Daw House as the future
site for hospice inpatient beds in the southern
metropolitan region of Adelaide.
1987 The rehabilitation function that has been
based in Daw House ceases and extensive
1988 On 8 August, the Minister for Veterans'
Affairs the Hon Ben Humphreys and the South
Australian Minister of Health the Hon Frank
Blevins jointly open Daw House Hospice and the
first patients are admitted.
Links Archive Southern Health News June 2013 Southern Health News October Navigation Previous Page Next Page